Friday, December 12, 2008

Our big girl is okay

Gabbie got her surgeries today. The morning started off bright and early. We got to the hospital and played, played, and played! Gabbie went for wagon rides, colored, jumped on the bed, watched TV, and did all other sorts of things. Then the anesthesiologist came in and said he would give her something to calm her down a bit. 15 minutes later she could barely keep her eyes open and when the doctor came to get her instead of her screaming for mommy and daddy she fell right asleep in his arms on the way to surgery. I must say I was completely relieved as the separation moment was the one I feared the most.

An hour later all 3 surgeries were done. She got her adenoids removed, new tubes (thankfully because we learned the right ear was loaded with fluid), and her chalazions removed. Coming out of anesthesia she was very disoriented and freaking out but according to daddy the nurse got her to calm down a bit with some morphine and asked her if she wanted a slushy and she was happy! Heck who wouldn't be with morphine and a slushy! Mommy on the other hand was waiting in the room feeling sick to her stomach but luckily by time they brought her back to the room I was better. Gabbie then fell asleep on me for around 45 minutes and when I switched her to daddy she left behind a 5 foot long piece of drool and a pool on my shoulder sleeve. Yummy!

After 5 hours at the hospital we were released and she was doing quite well. It has been touch and go today. One minute she wants something and the next she is screaming that she doesn't want it. Last year with the tubes she was fine by night but I guess even though these were all little surgeries 3 at once must have been a little harder on her. She was such a good and brave little girl today. She sat completely still when the nurse took the IV out of her arm. She let me take the eye bandages off at home. I am so proud of her.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. Hopefully tomorrow morning she will be even better.


Jenn said...

and hopefully this will be the end of her hospital experiences! i'm so glad she's a happy, screaming, no happy, no screaming....little girl now!

Rhonda said...

Oh Angie, I was so happy to read your post and hear of Gabbie's surgery. Thought about her so much this weekend and it sure sounds like the "typical" post surgical behaviors! Way to go Gabbie :-)